Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day 3: The lost side of me

I used to play drums (the drums set, that is. I'll cover my Letran Band side on another blog post.). I learned to play when I joined our parish's summer workshop last 2004, under the guidance of Percussion Major from UST, Alvin Meneses (actually my first summer workshop was in 2003 but my course was Guitar then). I also took the same course during the next two summer workshops. I learned to study the drum beats of my favorite songs (isolating the drum beats while listening), and just practicing it on air (because my family could never afford to buy me one). This also started my love for Original Pilipino Music (OPM) and foreign alternative/pop rock songs. Moreover, I learned to appreciate live performances.

Back in high school until college, I had bands, in which I am the drummer. My high school band, we called ourselves, Heaven Street (and from where that name came from, ask AJ). Russell as lead vocalist, AJ as lead guitarist, David as bassist. We used to have unpaid gigs (haha!) on the debuts of our classmates. We composed two original songs (I just do not know how I can post that song here), Asa and Kasalanan (both inspired by their respective composers' heartbreak stories). We still get together, though, during our "get-together's", but unfortunately, we do not 'jam' anymore like we used to.

Heaven Street, during my debut. :)

On the other hand, my band back in college was called Fishballs (kasi may isa daw samin na mukhang fish? I know, it sounds mean). We were an all girl band, me on drums, Gessy on bass, Keena on guitars, April on vocals, Kat on guitars, and Ria on keyboards/vocals. We were active from our late first year until our second year, during the last few months of our organization where we all met, the Letran Youth for Christ (which were disorganized by the school administration due to a lot of issues).

Fishballs, during my debut. :)

Fishballs, during a fund-raising concert in our parish.

Aside from my schooling days, I also had opportunities as I joined in Singles for Christ, playing in the all-sisters conference (photo below), and representing our sector in the band competition (sorry I cannot find a good photo for this).

Ang bandang, Sila!

Now you're asking, what's up with my title?

Lost, because I do not do this kind of stuff anymore. I lost the opportunities, even in my own SFC chapter, where the last standing opportunity for me is.

And honestly, I miss it. Playing the cajon or egg shaker will never replace my adrenalin rush when it comes to playing drums. Seeing my slightly used drumsticks just breaks my heart. Sometimes I think I cannot do this anymore because I do not practice, and I do not have the opportunity, nor the drive to do so.

Hiling by Paramita
(One of the songs I used to play, and sing).

What made me write this kind of emo article is the fact that a new girl band in the music scene, really impresses me. Have you guys heard of the band, General Luna? They have already released their songs, Nandito and Tila. All of them are beautiful, sexy, gorgeous, not to mention their musical skills. They have really caught my attention, most especially the drummer, because somehow I dreamed of becoming like her.

Nandito by General Luna

I am not sure when I can play drums again. But if given the time, opportunity and with awesome band mates, I believe I can try it again. And I'll make sure I will give my best, performance level.

No comments:

Post a Comment